Tuesday, December 22, 2015

I was a hawker earning Sh100 a day - Nairobi County Assembly MCA

Karen Wanjiku Githaiga
Karen Wanjiku Githaiga    Photo:Courtesy
Karen Wanjiku Githaiga was once a city hawker earning peanuts, but today, she’s a fearless MCA who does not shy away from putting her male colleagues and other leaders in their place. She spoke to JAMES MWANGi
 You were once a hawker. Tell us more.
I started hawking Sarafina bar soaps in Njiru in 2003 after giving birth to my daughter. I would trek from Njiru to Dandora to buy then walk back selling it.
In a day I would make Sh100 and after spending on our food, paraffin and all those household stuff, I would save Sh10 only for chama.
I was even nicknamed 'Sarafina'. Later, I started hawking salt, which saw my daily profit shoot to Sh150. I was a hawker for nine years. I also  traded in children clothes and bikers and in 2011, I opened a boutique in Njiru.
 And how you ended up being a Nairobi city MCA
My journey had nothing to do with 'Who is Who' in the political world, but my campaigns in pushing youths' agenda, access to women and youth enterprise fund and fight against illegal brews in Njiru.
But the big change came when I was elected the National Youth Council secretary at District level in 2011 and later in was hired to carry out TNA recruitment drive in Embakasi area.
I was later employed briefly in the Embakasi constituency office and in the campaigns to 2013 elections I campaigned for three men who made it to the county assembly and at one point residents faulted me for failing to vie.
I was not much interested with elective politics but I was surprisingly nominated to represent women in the assembly after youths demanded I apply for it.
At one point my two colleagues and I almost lost our slots to three women who had vied for parliamentary posts and Senate in Nairobi but were trounced. Some newspaper published a list without our names yet the genuine one with the electoral body had our names.
Something fishy was cooking and we fought in the courts for three months in the High Court and won. It is from here I developed the leadership traits and how to stand firm even when the mighty pushes you to the wall.
Your life must have changed...from hawker to mheshimiwa
I relocated to an upper class estate and bought a car. I also took a loan and bought land in Nairobi where I am planning to build a beautiful home. I can also afford meal in top rated hotels which I never thought I would step in. I have traveled the country and abroad and made new friends. But I'm still in touch with my old pals.
 A section of MCAs calls you 'professional hawker'. Do you feel it demeaning
Not at all. That is where I came from and that is why all my motions touch on the deprived people in the small informal businesses and poor without proper access to health services.
I am an encouragement to many people especially those who were thieves in Njiru and now are eking out a living from legit activities.
 Mastery of Standing Orders and Constitution has awed many including the Speaker. How do you pull this
I realised the assembly business is not what I thought. It is male dominated and advantageous to the elected ones so I decided to actively play my role in legislation process.

No comments:

Post a Comment